GROUNDING SWEET POTATO SOUP
A nourishing, grounding ayurvedic recipe particularly suited to vata and pitta dosha and autumn/winter season.
Sweet potato soup Ayurvedic Recipe
2-3 large sweet potatoes
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 pinch turmeric
1/2 can coconut milk (optional to taste)
A handful almonds without the skin or red lentils (optional – to add some protein)
2 tbsp olive oil, ghee (vata constitution) or coconut oil (pitta constitution)
- Peel and finely slice the garlic and ginger.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks.
- In a non-sticky pot pour 2 tbsp ghee. Add the cumin seeds and roast for 1-2 minutes.
- Sautée the garlic and ginger until golden. Stir in the ground coriander and turmeric.
- Add the red lentils or almonds (if you are using them) to the pan. Stir to coat.
- Add the sweet potato with enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Boil gently, with the pot covered until you have reached a smooth consistency.
- Reduce the heat.
- Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Then blitz the soup with a stick blender until it’s creamy but still has a little texture.
- Serve the soup warm with salt/pepper to taste and a squeeze of lime juice.