With only a few ingredients, this Ayurvedic Dahl Recipe recipe, is super easy to make and budget-friendly. It was adapted from a adapted from a Vasant Lad (BAM&S, MASc, Ayurvedic Physician) recipe. Light and easily digestible, it suitable for all three doshas (Ayurvedic constitutions).
The Ayurvedic Dahl Recipe has several Ayurvedic spices that make it easily digestible. Prepare a large quantity, keep it in the fridge up to 2-3 days and take to office or have it ready for dinner at home. We like it served with a steamed cumin and fennel basmati rice. In the summer, we add steamed baby courgettes or courgette flowers salad, seasoned with olive oil, rock salt and lime. In the winter, we throw in seasonal locally grown vegetables, at the end of the cooking process. It is also delicious with the creamy ayurvedic potato casserole.
Here is what you will need for this easy Ayurvedic Dahl Recipe:
Ayurvedic Dahl INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup mung dahl (split yellow)
- 4-6 cups warm water
- 2 tsp. ghee or coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 clove garlic
- Rock salt to taste
- Rinse one cup of split yellow mung dahl (min 4 times until the water is clear. Leave it to soak in water.
- In a large saucepan, roast the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds in a little oil or ghee until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onion and crushed garlic, steer on medium flame until golden.
- Drain the mung dal and then stir it into the spice mixture in the saucepan.
- Add in the water so it covers the mung dahl.
- Add in the turmeric and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook on low heat for approximately 40 minutes or until soft.
We hope you liked this Enjoy your Ayurvedic Dahl Recipe. Click here for more Ayurvedic recipes.
Ayurvedic Consultant – DipALN, DipAMT (Ayurveda)
The Ayurveda Centre – Athens