This detox rice and lentil soup, is a traditional medicinal recipe. It is light, nourishing and easy to digest. It enables our digestive system to rest and to facilitates elimination of accumulated toxins.
Detox rice and lentil soup recipe
- White basmati rice – 1 cup
- Red lentils – 1 cup
- Butter / ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Salt (rock salt)
- Spices according to taste (cumin, coriander, black pepper, mustard seeds, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon – a pinch of each. No chilis)
- Wash and soak the red lentils in water for 30mins – 1 hour before cooking
- Dry roast the rice lightly in a frying pan until rice becomes lighter in weight and golden colour
- Drain the lentils
- Once the rice is roasted, add the lentils and 3 cups of water
- Add salt according to your palate, between a pinch and a quarter of a teaspoon
- Add spices fried in a little butter / ghee
- Boil for 10 – 15 minutes until the rice & lentil soup becomes soft
- You can blend or mash the mixture or eat it as is
The detox rice & lentil soup can be eaten when hungry. Enough to satisfy hunger without creating any heaviness or fullness.
For full benefits avoid eating other foods or snacks especially anything processed.
Please consult a qualified practitioner to integrate this recipe as part of your ayurvedic diet – and for specific guidelines / posology.