This easy kitchari recipe is particularly nourishing and easy to digest. It suits vata and kapha consitutions very well. The combination of basmati rice and mung dal make a healthy vegan protein.
Kitchari gives strength and energy to the body yet is light to digest. Mild in spicing and with no stimulants kitchari promotes a peacful mind. This easy kitchari variation has a sweet taste making it particularly tasty and grounding.
- Basmati rice – 1/3 cup
- Red or yellow lentils – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – as required
- Salt (rock salt) – to taste
- 1/4 tsp each cumin seeds, black pepper, turmeric
- Rince the red lentils and rice 3 times
- In a pot add about 2,5-3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame, cover and leave to simmer until you have a soft consistency (add water if needed)
- Add salt according to your palate, between a pinch and a quarter of a teaspoon
- Stir in spices and coconut milk.
- Leave for another 2 minutes, then remove from fire.
Enjoy with a side of greens and/or roasted vegetables !