Another greek inspired dish made Ayurvedic friendly. Fakes or green lentil soup is a nourishing and grounding dish that can be enjoyed in the winter or even in the summer as a salad with quinoa, rocket and cranberries. The original greek recipe is served with feta cheese but this is not recommended from an Ayurveda viewpoint. We have also spiced it up a little to suit all constitutions and be more easily digestible.
Green lentil soup is an easy ayurvedic recipe and an excellent source of proteins, fibre, iron, vitamins and minerals.
It is preferable to eat green lentils in the middle of the day and not with any other form of protein (see food combining chart).
Lentils are Sattvic, which means they are calming, nourishing and pacifying to the body and mind.
They are know to positively affect blood sugar and promote strength.
Green lentils are astringent and drying and may be slightly vata aggravating, therefore using correct spices, ghee and cooked as a soup will mitigate vata imbalances.
Cooling in nature they are excellent for pitta imbalances.
On to the recipe!
- Ghee or olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Green lentils – 500 gm
- Water 5 cups
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Onion – 1 large
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh ginger – 1 tsp grated
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon (optional) – 1/4 tsp
- Oregano (optional) – a pinch
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Lime or lemon juice – to taste
- Rocket – a handful chopped
- Rinse the green lentils thoroughly 2 – 3 times.
- Soak them overnight or for at least 4hrs. Filter and pour the water away. Alternatively you can boil them in plenty of water and on high high heat for about 10min, then discard the water and rinse the lentils.
- In a pot melt the ghee or olive oil, add the chopped onion. 2-3 minutes later add the crushed garlic and grated ginger. Fry for 1-2 minute. Add the cumin seeds.
- Now add the lentils and mix well with the fragrant spices. Add the bay leaf.
- Pour hot water over the lentils. Boil for 25min or until soft.
- 5-7 minutes before turning off the heat add the turmeric, cinnamon and any other herbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a little ghee or olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Decorate (or mix) with a bunch rocket!
- You can also make a salad by adding quinoa or rice or any other grain, a few cranberries, why not some boiled courgettes and a bunch of rocket (aragula).
- Enjoy this soup warm or at room temperature depending on the season and your personal taste!