What are the signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance? Understand common signs and symptoms of Pitta imbalance, to better manage a pitta constitution or pitta imbalances.
To understand signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance you must understand what pitta dosha is. First, we recommend that you start by reading “what is pitta dosha” article.
WHAT ARE THE GENERAL SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PITTA IMBALANCE?
Signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance are directly linked to the qualities of pitta dosha i.e. qualities of fire and water elements. As a result, when pitta is out of balance one may experience inflammation, infection, excess heat or oilyness, discolouration of skin, sour and salty taste or smell.
Parts of the body generally affected by excess pitta
Also, it is important to know that signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance, tend to appear in the main sites of pitta dosha. These are the stomach, skin, eyes and blood. Therefore you should be paying particular attention to symptoms in these areas of the body.
Physical and emotional signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance
- Burning sensations in the body
- Excessive temperature, excessive sweat, hot flushes
- Urinary tract infection
- Sensitivity to the sun and heat
- Migraines, headaches
- Skin disease e.g. rashes, acne, eczema and dermatitis.
- Skin discolouration
- Digestive disorders – Acidity e.g acid reflux, heart burn, diarrhoea
- Allergies, piles, haemorroids, polyps
- Premature hair loss or grey hair, oily hair, excessive body hair growth
- Loss of vision, eye disorders, burning sensation in the eyes
- Kidney stones, gallstones
- Body odour, bad breath
- Hormonal imbalances e.g Infertility, menopausal symtoms
- Excessive thirst or hunger
- Auto-immune disorders
- Pitta type depression, schizophrenia, destructive, violent behaviours, self-harm
- Panic attack, fainting
- Heart/blood diseases
- Anger, jealousy, irritability
- High expectations, perfectionism, judgement, critiscim, obsessions
- Attachement to money, status appearance and luxury goods.
What do if you experience pitta dosha imbalance?
In summary, if you notice an inflammation, infection or a burning sensation on the skin, stomach or eyes you may have excess pitta in the body. Once you have identified specific signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance, we recommend that your consult a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner (or GP). Review with them an appropriate pitta dosha diet, lifestyle and pitta dosha treatment. It is important to remember that your body is giving you clear signs when some things need to change. If symptoms are left untreated they can become serious illnesses.
- Read here about the cause of pitta imbalance
- And how to balance pitta dosha
This article and its content are for information only. They do not replace a diagnosis and treatment plan with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or with a GP.
Ayurvedic Consultant – DipALN, DipAMT (Ayurveda)
The Ayurveda Centre – Athens