These yeast free flat breads are quick to make, delicious and go well with soups, main dishes for lunch or dinner.
Makes 6-8 flat bread
- 150 g Zea/Emmer/Farro (Triticum Dicoccum) flour
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of rock salt
- pinch black pepper
- 250ml water
- Savoury spices such as cumin, oregano, turmeric powder, fresh sage… (optional)
- Place the flour, olive oil, salt, pepper and spices, in a bowl and gradually add water, beating with a fork to remove any lumps and obtain a batter with smooth and airy consistency. The consistency should be thicker than a pancake batter.
- It is preferable to refrigerate the batter for min 1h or even over night. You may also use it immediately.
- Heat a non-sticky pan on medium temperature. When the pan is evenly heated, add 1 tbsp of the mixture.
- When the top is dry, flip over and cook the other side for a few minutes.
- For an even better taste you can pop it in a taste for a few minutes before enjoying it with your meal.
- Vata dosha can spread a little bit of ghee, to prevent dryness.
- These flat breads are tastier if eaten immediately.
We choose to work with Zea flower as this ancient type of wheat which is rich in protein, fibers and minerals. It is also lower in gluten than other types of wheat. Although it is not gluten free.
Click here for more ayurvedic recipes.
Ayurvedic Consultant – DipALN, DipAMT (Ayurveda)
The Ayurveda Centre – Athens