MUNG DAL RECIPE
An easy to digest and grounding ayurvedic recipe suited to vata, pitta and kapha dosha.
This mung dal recipe is by the talented Ayurvedic Chef (and fine poet) Dag Weinmann. Dag has just published an ayurvedic cookbook (in German language) with some of the most delicious & soul made ayurvedic recipe we have ever tasted. It also includes beautiful poems about nature and the ingredients he uses.
And now onto the mung dal recipe!
- 150 g mung dal
- 600 ml of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- lime juice
- Rinse the mung dal 2 to 3 times.
- Soak it for 20 minutes, then filter and pour the water away.
- In a pot filled with water, simmer the mung dal with water with the cinnamon stick for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a pre heated pan, heat the ghee, roast the caraway seeds, add the asafoetida, turmeric and ginger and roast for another 2 minutes. Until fragrant but not burnt!
- Put this delicious ayurvedic spice masala in the dal, season with salt and lime juice!
Et voila! Vata predominant constitutions can add another spoon of ghee at the end of the cooking process and prefer a more moist/soupy consistency.
This recipe goes wonderfully with simple basmati rice and ayurvedic coconut chutney.
For more about Dag, please visit his website. Thanks Dag!