VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE
An alternative vegetable curry recipe suitable for all constitutions. Light to digest, rich in flavours and balancing qualities, this Ayurvedic vegetable curry recipe is perfect served with plain basmati rice or roti and protein such as lentils, tofu, fish or chicken!
vegetable CURRY RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Fresh seasonal vegetables according to your constitution e.g. potatoes, brocoli, zucchini, beans, carrots – 2 cups
- Curry powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/4 tsp (optional – not recommended for pitta conditions)
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Olive or coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Cinnamon – 1/4 stick
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Onion – 1 large onion
- Ginger – 1 cm (grated or thinly sliced)
- Curry leaves – 3-4 (optional)
- Green chili – (optional- not recommended for pitta conditions)
- Coconut milk – if it is very thick and creamy you can dilute it with a little water – 3/4 cup
- Rock salt – to taste
HOW TO MAKE THE vegetable CURRY RECIPE
- Wash, peel and cut the vegetables in small cubes
- Boil or steam them until soft. Set aside
- Slice the onion thinly, crush the garlic, grate the ginger – make a paste
- In a deep non stick pan, pop mustard seeds in a little oil. Then, add cumin, cinnamon, garlic, onion and ginger paste.
- Add green chili, curry leaves (optional)
- Stir until golden and fraguant on low heat. Take your time. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the vegetables and 3/4 cup of warm coconut milk
- Add curry powder, chili powder (optional), turmeric
- Cook for 5 minutes more on low heat
- Serve warm with basmati rice on the side and/or protein, a sprinkle of lime and a few fresh leafs of parsley or coriander (except for pitta imbalances).
TIP: Customise the vegetable curry recipe to your constitution:
- Pitta constitutions should choose from any green vegetables. They should avoid root vegetables and leave out the chilis.
- Vata constitutions can choose sweeter vegetables such as potatoes, zucchini, beetroots and avoid cruciferous like cabbage, brocoli and cauliflower.
- Kapha constitutions should prefer non starchy vegetables. Such as leafy green vegetables, cruciferous etc.
Ayurvedic Consultant – DipALN, DipAMT (Ayurveda)
The Ayurveda Centre – Athens