Coriander seeds infusion, is an essential Ayurvedic home remedy that helps improve the digestive function, reduce inflammation and balance all three doshas. Coriander seeds’ main properties are cooling and purifying. In Ayurveda, they are prepared as an infusion to help relive thirst, reduce inflammation, allergies and other pitta disorders. They also helps with indigestion and elimination of accumulated toxins in the body.
Known as Coriandrum Sativum in latin and Vitnnakain in sanskrit, coriander is native to the Mediterranean and grows extensively in India. Coriander seeds and leafs have been used for their medicinal and culinary properties by the Egyptians, the Romans and the Greeks. This is why we should add this wonderful spice to our kitchen !
PROPERTIES OF CORIANDER SEEDS
Taste (rasa) : sweet (madhura), astringent (kashaya), bitter (tikta), katu (pungent)
Qualities (guna) : light (laghu), unctuous (snigdha)
Potency (virya): hot (ushna)
Post digestive effect (vipaka): sweet (madhura)
Effect on Dosha: Balances all the three Doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha)
Action (karma): Coriander relives thirst. It is used in fevers, loss of appetite and indigestion.
BENEFITS OF CORIANDER SEEDS
There are many health benefits associated with coriander seeds. Depending on the dosage and method of preparation the effect will vary. This is why it is best to first consult an Ayurvedic practitioner and go through a holistic health diagnosis.
In general, coriander seeds are known to/as:
- quenche thirst
- pacify internal and external burning sensations
- nervine/ brain tonic
- balances the digestive fire and elimination of accumulated toxins
- channel clearing
- liver stimulating
- removing bad odours from body
- subside worm infestations
- good for heart
- diuretic, restore natural color of urine, disinfects bladder
- fever reducing
- relieving coldness of body
- removes swellings
- pain killer
- good for eyes
- good for all skin disorders
- blood purifying
If prepared in the right way, coriander seeds infusion helps pacify pitta (cooling effect) and improve the digestive function. You may particularly enjoy this cooling ayurvedic remedy in the hot summer days. If you have doubts about your constitution and potential , you can refer to the following articles.
- What is pitta dosha?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pitta imbalance?
- What are the causes of pitta imbalance?
- Identify my personal constitution : Dosha Quizz
We recommend that you consult a certified Ayurvedic practitioner for optimal dosage and treatment. Dosage, preparation and posology will vary according to individual constitution, personal health condition, season etc.
Here is a general method of preparation that cools down excessive fire in the body, helps with pitta skin disorders, quenches thirst, help flush toxins from the urinary tract, balances acidity levels, promotes an alkaline body and is an excellent prevention remedy for viruses including COVID-19.
- In the evening crush 3 tea spoons of coriander seeds. Add 300ml of room temperature water.
- Soak overnight at room temperature. If you can expose to moon rays the cooling effect will be increased even more.
- In the morning filter and drink 100-150ml before breakfast with a little added warm water or at room temperature. Don’t drink all at once at this may dilute your digestive fire. Drink small sips at any one time.
- Wait a few minutes before drinking or eating anything.
This infusion can be taken 3 times per week.
We recommend that you consult a certified Ayurvedic practitioner for optimal dosage and treatment.
Ayurvedic Consultant – DipALN, DipAMT (Ayurveda)