INTESTINAL WORMS & PARASITES AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
What are intestinal worms & parasites ?
Intestinal worms are known as Kriminidana in sanskrit. That is the Diagnosis of worm infestation.
Worms are of two variety according to ayurveda :
- internal – which have their origin in the stomach
- external – which get deposited on the skin
They are four further categories – based on their origins :
- External impurities (external worms)
According to Caraka they are innumerable types of worms and most invisible to the naked eye. Most of them are harmless, but those listed in the ayurveda textbooks produce symptoms in the body. In total 20 of them are being listed.
In this article we will focus on internal worms and in particular those which have their origin in the faeces.
What are the symptoms of intestinal worm infestation ?
The worms that originate in faeces exist in the intestine and have a tendency to move downwards. When they increase in number they move towards the stomach and cause bad breath.
They may be wide, round, thin or big in shape. Either bluish, yellowish, white or black in colour.
In western medicine, pinworm infections are one of the most common types of human intestinal worm infections
When they are aggravated they cause fever, skin discoloration, nausea, pain, constipation, diarrhoea, weight loss, loss of appetite, roughness of the body, anaemia, goose bumps, and anal itching.
What causes worm infestation ?
According to traditional Ayurvedic textbooks, those who eat without completion of digestion of the previous food, eat and drink sweet and sour foods regularly, drink too much liquids, do not practice enough exercises, sleep during day time, and eat incompatible food combination are at risk of getting worms.
How to treat intestinal worms & parasites naturally?
Management primarily includes change in diet and prescription of herbal medication. Ayurveda recommends to avoid causative factors listed above. First, we must remove the worms from the body. Then restore the proper function of the digestive system.
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- Avoid diet rich in only carbohydrates i.e refined flour, packed fruit juices and all sugars
- Increase intake of pomegranates, raw garlic, beets, pumpkin seeds and carrots, all of which have been used traditionally to kill parasites.
- Eat more fibre, which may help get rid of worms.
Recipes and foods to eliminate intestinal worms
- Leafy greens
- Green beans
- Intestinal Parasite Cleansing Soup
- Roasted vegetables
- Tahini dressing
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Ensure to go to the toilet in a timely manner. Do not hold or force urination and eliminiation.
- Maintain cleanliness habits and good hygiene
- Wash anus and hands with natural soap and dry thoroughly after elimination
SPICES & AYURVEDA REMEDIES FOR INTESTINAL WORMS
- Avipathikara Choorna
- Dhatri Choorna
- Nutmeg infusion
- Coriander seeds infusion
- Pomegranate root decoction
- Celery infusion
- Carrot, beetroot and cumin juices
- Cumin, coriander, fennel tea
- Rock salt, lime juice, cumin powder, honey mix
- Black pepper
- Long pepper
- Nigella seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Hing (Asafoetida)
These recommendations are intended for information only. For appropriate treatment and correct remedy dosage please contact your local ayurvedic practitioner
If symptoms persist please contact your GP.