This vegan zucchini mint soup recipe will cool you down on hot summer nights and is suitable to all tri-dosha (vata, pitta and kapha).
What are zucchini (courgettes) good for ?
Zucchini are cooling and light in nature. According to Ayurveda, they are primarily made of water element. Easy to digest, low in calories and diuretic they are ideal for those who wish to loose weight. Zucchini also help prevent constipation, acid reflux, indigestion.
What is mint good for ?
Mint is light, cool, pungent and primarily composed of air element. It is a great appetizer, anti-spasmodic, digestive tonic, helps prevent bloating, burn toxins, energiser and nerve tonic.
- 500g fresh, local and organic zucchini, roughly sliced . Those with the flower still on are the freshest and you can use the courgette flower to decorate your dish !
- 1 chopped fennel (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin greek olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 slices of fresh ginger
- Pinch curry powder (optional)
- 1,3 litres of water or vegetable broth
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- Cashew cream (soak 15 cashew in water for 20min, then blend them with a tiny bit of water) or a tsp coconut milk (Optional)
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon or lime
- Freshly grounded pepper and himalayan salt
- Toasted Sesame seeds
- Heat olive oil in a pot
- Sauté the onion until golden,
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté on low flame for 1-2 minutes
- Add zucchini and curry powder, stir for a few minutes
- Add the vegetable stock or water (hot or room temperature) and cook at low/medium temperature for about 15 minutes
- Remove some of the water in a separate container before you blend and add slowly. We do not want a very liquid soup
- Add the mint and blend until you have reached a thick and unctuous soup consistency
- Mix in cashew or coconut cream, salt and pepper
- To finish add a squeeze of lime juice
- Decorate with toasted sesame seeds, a drizzle of cashew cream and a few mint leafs
This Ayurveda vegan zucchini – mint soup recipe will delight you as a summer starter or to even used as a sauce !
Enjoy your healthy meal!
For alternative zucchini based healthy ayurveda recipe why not try Ayurveda Chef Dag’s delicious zucchini sage weight loss soup recipe