These yeast free pancakes are quick to make and make delicious for breakfast with jam, nut butter or maple syrup.
Why yeast free ?
Unleavened bread used to be the main form of bread in ancient civilisation. We still find it widely used in India, Middle East, Greece and South America. Why is is healthier according to Ayurveda ?
From an ayurvedic perspective yeast free bread is much less heating than regular bread. Other forms of bakery or supermarket bread – prepared with baker’s yeast and often with added sugar and salt – tend to cause acidity and sourness due to the fermentation process. Acid and sour tastes are heat forming. This is not recommend in pitta disorders such as inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, pitta type skin disorders, endometriosis, acid reflux, auto-immune diseases.
Isn’t wheat or gluten bad for me ?
Actually in Ayurveda, wheat and gluten more generally are not the problem. Alone they do not cause indigestion or intolerances. Often the issues comes from the addition of yeast in the gluten or wheat based products. This combined with imbalance of agni – the digestive fire and bad food combination can easily transform food in toxic waste that then travels to the various bodily tissues causing manifestation of disorders.
YEAST FREE PANCAKE RECIPE
Makes about 5-6 pancakes
- 150 g Zea/Emmer/Farro (Triticum Dicoccum) flour
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- pinch of rock salt
- 250 ml milk of your choice
- Sweet spices such as cinnamon, cardamom… (optional)
- Place the flour, olive oil, salt, pepper and spices, in a bowl and gradually add milk, beating with a fork to remove any lumps and obtain a batter with light and airy consistency. Continue to add milk until you have reached a thick and smooth consistency.
- It is preferable to refrigerate the batter for min 1h or even over night. You may also use it immediately.
- Heat a non-sticky pan on medium temperature. When the pan is evenly heated, add 2 tbsp of the mixture.
- When the top is dry, flip over and cook the other side for a few minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favourite topping and according to your constitution!
TIP: Grate 1/2 an apple into the batter to make a delicious moist and sweet tasting yeast free pancake !
We choose to work with Zea flower as this ancient type of wheat which is rich in protein, fibers and minerals. It is also lower in gluten than other types of wheat. Although it is not gluten free.
To receive dietary and lifestyle advice suited to your constitution and your medical condition, it is preferable that you consult a qualified Ayurvedic physician or practitioner.
Natural Health Practitioner | Educator
Certified Ayurveda Practitioner | Therapist – DipPrac, DipALN, DipAMT (Ayur)
Certified Yoga Instructor
Member the AAPUK