A nourishing and satisfying ayurvedic breakfast recipe which is also light on the digestive system. Suitable in all seasons and all constitution (tri-doshic recipe), this mung dahl coconut rice porridge is balancing for vata, pitta and kapha and pitta reducing recipe, which means it is especially recommended for pitta constitutions or pitta imbalances which mostly relate to inflammatory conditions.
This ayurvedic breakfast recipe will satisfy your hunger for a while and prevent the mid-morning & afternoon cravings.
Mung beans, rice and coconut milk are sattvic, alkaline and cooling ingredients. Nourishing to Ojas – our immunity, and reducing acidity and inflammation in our system.
Ok onto the recipe now !
- 1/2 cup Green Mung Dahl
- 1,5 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Tbsp Coconut milk
- Hot Water
- Salt & pepper
- Toppings of your choice
- Soak half a cup of whole green Mung dahl in water for 8-12 hours (you can do this overnight).
- In the morning cook the dahl with one and a half cups of white Basmati rice and four cups of water (you can adjust the quantity as long as the proportion is correct).
- Once it comes to the boil, cook on low heat with the lid on for 12-15 minutes until fully cooked and a little sticky.
- Take it off the heat and add coconut milk (2 tablespoons coconut milk mixed with two small cups of hot water and half a teaspoon of salt).
- Stir well and return to the heat for 3 minutes.
- You can also make this in a rice cooker by adding all the ingredients together and cooking.
- According to what your body feels like, make it sweet or savoury.
- For a savoury version add grated nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and almond flakes if desired.
- For a sweet version, add any combination of a small handful of raisins, maple syrup, flaked almonds and seeds.
Enjoy your mung dahl coconut rice porridge warm for a yummy ayurvedic breakfast !