In Ayurveda, sweet and unctuous foods support healthy bowel elimination.
Sweet foods have a predominence of earth element which is heavy and cooling in nature and promotes downard movement. Cooked, moist and unctuous foods help forming soft stools and are softer on the digestive system.
Healthy exercise regimen such as yoga, meditation and adequate level of movement, as well as ayurvedic herbal remedies are also be beneficial in constipation relief.
Here below are Ayurveda recipes & remedies for constipation relief.
Constipation relief recipes
Sweet potato & veg purée
For 2 pax
- Sweet potato 2 x large
- Almonds x 10
- Asparagus x 4
- Leek x 1/2 medium
- Red onion x 1/2 medium
- Fennel x 1 pinch
- Cinnamon x 1 pinch
- Cumin x 1 pinch
- Coco oil x 1 tbsp
- Rock salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Wash and slice the sweet potato.
- Wash and cut the onion and leek in small squares.
- In a pot heat up the coco oil, add onion, then leeks steer until golden.
- Add in the spices stir until the vegetables are nicely covered.
- Add the sweet potato.
- Cover with boiling water. When it is all boiling, lower the flame to medium, cover and leave ti to cook until the sweet potatoes have become soft.
- In the mean time, in a small pan roast together the almonds and asparagus.
- Puree the mixture (with the amount of water you wish to achieve the consistency of your preference) with a blender, add the salt, pepper and blend again until you have reached a smooth consistency.
- Serve in a plate, drizzle with a little coco oil, dress with asparagus and almonds
Constipation relief remedies
Leaf of egypt tea
- Leaf of egypt x 2-4
- Water x 1 cup
- Boil water
- Pour the water in a tea mug over 2-4 leaf of egypt, depending on constipation intensity
- Drink in the afternoon/evening
Hot milk with ghee
- Ghee x 1tsp
- Milk x 1 small tea cup
- Bring milk to a boil
- Pour milk in a tea mug, add ghee.
- Leave to cool
- Drink this constipation remedy in the evening for a healthy bowel movement in the morning.